We never ate fresh brussel sprouts growing up. Evvverrr. In fact, we never ate a lot of delicious veggies growing up. No squash, no eggplant, no okra, no parsnips. How did I ever live?
(My poor mother. Mom – I swear I loved our meals growing up! They were always delicious and a good chunk of the time nutritious!)
My favorite way to prepare brussel sprouts is just to let them shine on their own. I simply
- Cut them up – usually into fourths
- Coat them in extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil – whatever you have on hand
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper
- Bake at 400 C – 450 C for 20 minutes – depending on how hot your oven gets
- *This is the most important step and the yummiest – Once removing them from the oven, quickly eat all of the crispy black pieces that are crunchy and salty because if you don’t eat them right when they get out of the oven, they lose their crunch factor
- Once you’ve regained composure you can…
Eat as is
Toss with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice
Sprinkle them with your favorite vinegar and gobble them up with Sriracha
or for a meal option…
Mix together (*when warm) with warm quinoa, diced avocado, diced tomato and herbs. Then pour the mixture onto a bed of lettuce, add your other choice of veggies and EAT UP!
…I crave this last option ohhhh about 3-4 times a week. SO GOOD!
How do you enjoy your brussel sprouts?